Here's how we justified the expense. Monthly YMCA Family membership cost is $61 + tax.
- Mr. R canceled his other gym membership that he was paying $10 per month for.
- We will save $59 total per 7 week session on the girls' gymnastics lessons as members. Plus now we can register earlier as a member so hopefully we won't have to deal with the classes we want being full.
- Free Child Watch - Mr. R and I can both work out at the same time then take the kids swimming or to play in the gym as a family.
- Free Classes - There are a whole list of classes that are free (included with the membership). My goal for now is to start going Tuesday evenings while Mr. R is at work for a Zumba class.
- Walking Track - I always used to love to walk. I would go for long walks around the neighborhood and in the winter I would walk at the Y on the track. For some reason, I'm not a big fan of walking on a treadmill, but outside and even on the track, I can just get lost in thought and walk for hours. I got out of the walking habit once I had kids. Hopefully, I can get back into it.
- Open Swim - The girls and Mr. R love to swim.
- Other activities - The YMCA has lots of family activities throughout the year. Some are free to members, others cost a fee. But as a member the fee is less than what we would have paid as a non-member. We have attended some of these events in the past and paid the non-member fee.
Overall, it's still an added expense to our monthly budget. But I'm hoping to really make sure we continue to use it. Especially for the activities/classes that are already included in the membership fee.
To keep myself motivated, I am going to keep track of the amount of times we go each month so I can calculate the actual cost per use. We had to pay $44.80 for the first part of January including the registration fee. Then from now on, our credit card will be charged the 15th of each month.
I took the girls swimming today, so we've used the membership 3 times so far.