July 15, 2015

How long to put my life on hold while job hunting...

Normally Mr. R and I would take a trip by ourselves in October since that's our wedding anniversary.  But this October will be a family trip. We are going to Myrtle Beach for 4 nights over a long weekend off from school. It's going to be a complete surprise.  We're just going to pack up and tell the girls to get in the car. My mom used to do that to my sister and me.  It was exciting.

We aren't much of ocean swimmers but plan to spend lots of time playing in the sand and swimming in the hotel pool. It will be very inexpensive since we will be able to eat most of our meals in our suite or picnic on the beach.  Since it is off season, we got a great deal on our hotel stay. I'm hoping the weather will still be nice.  I remember going to Myrtle Beach when I was young over Halloween weekend and we were still able to swim in the Ocean.

I happened to see an advertisement for Las Vegas Vacation deals through Southwest.  We could go for my birthday in December.  3 nights stay on the strip, straight through flights, and transportation from the airport to the hotel and back for just Mr. R and I.  Total price = $618.  

We aren't gamblers.  I just want to go walk through all the fancy hotels and just have some time away.  Even with the $25 per night resort fee and food/drinks, I bet we could keep this trip under $1,000.  Well... Maybe $1200 since I know the food and drinks are pricey out there.

But, what if I find a new job?  I'll already need 3 days off for our October trip.  Then I would need 2 days off for the Las Vegas trip in December.

On the other hand, I've been looking for new job since last October and still haven't found one.  I still have my job, although the company is shaky.  But it's been shaky for 2 years now.  There haven't been any more lay offs and we are about to head into our busiest season.

Lots to think about.


3 comments:

  1. If it were me, I would save as many days as possible. Plus like you said I would hate to ask for 5 days off if I were new at a job. Many new employers don't allow employees time off during a probation period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've resisted booking so far. I know it makes sense to not plan any more trips right now. It's just hard when I see such great deals. I'm just going to focus on planning for our Myrtle Beach trip and ignore all the other deals I see.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete