November 16, 2014

Home Made Christmas Gifts: Lip Chap

About 2 months ago, I bought a whole bunch of supplies to try to make my own lotions, lip chap and body scrubs to hand out for Christmas.  I tried making the non-oily lotion right away and it turned out to be a total fail.  I couldn't get the oil to stay mixed in and it made a major mess to clean up when I was done.  So I haven't touched any of this stuff again until today.  Buying all the oils, butters and containers to make these wasn't cheap so I couldn't give up.

Today, I made 2 batches of lip chap using this recipe from the Wellness Mama. I'm not re-posting the whole recipe so check out the link if you want to try it.  The recipe was easy to follow and they look great.  I have to wait a few hours to try them out to see if I like them.
Ingredients: Peppermint Essential Oil, Shea Butter,
Coconut Oil and Bees Wax Pellets

The first batch was unscented.  I used about 3/4 tablespoon beeswax, 1 tablespoon Shea butter and 1 tablespoon coconut oil.  It was enough to make 6 tubes of lip chap.

2nd Batch: Heating glass bowl of ingredients in shallow water on stove
In the second batch, I combined 1 heaping tablespoon of beeswax with 2 tablespoons each of coconut oil and shea butter in a small glass bowl. After removing from heat, I added 20 drops of peppermint essential oil.  This batch made 11 tubes of lip chap.  I used a glass dropper to transfer the hot liquid into the plastic tubes.

Now I just have to wait a few hours to test them out and see which one I like best.  I have enough empty tubes to make another small batch.

Lip Chap Starting to Cool.
When they were cooled down, the mixture turned
white instead of looking yellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment