October 19, 2013

Apples, Apples, Everywhere - Playing in the Kitchen

We picked 8 lbs. of apples last weekend.  I decided to try out a few recipes.  I have applesauce cooking in the crock pot,  a crustless apple pie in the oven and I tried making up an apple, banana pancake recipe.  The pancakes came out pretty good except I didn't think about pre-cooking the apples to soften them up some.  I am cooking the pancakes on low heat so that the apples have some extra cooking time.

Apple Banana Pancakes

3 apples peeled, cored and diced
2 ripe bananas, smashed
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
3 Tbsp.. maple syrup
2 eggs
3 cups skim milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder

Partially cook the apples in a sauce pan on the stove.  Then mix all the ingredients together.  Cook pancakes on low-medium heat until golden brown. 

This recipe made a lot of pancakes so I will freeze 1/2 for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment