August 2, 2013

Cooking, Baking and Cooking Some More

Since I'm trying to spend as little as possible on groceries this month, I decided to do lots of cooking.

Yesterday I made a crock pot full of chili.  I make chili different every time depending on what I have on hand.  We had Chili last night and again for dinner tonight.  Plus I have enough for another dinner and probably a couple lunches left in the freezer.  I figured out that each 1 cup serving of Chili cost 50 cents and had 5 weight watchers points plus.

Tomorrow I am going to make Chicken Sandwich Filling in the crock pot.



I tried to make this recipe for home made flour tortillas from Pennies & Pancakes.  I liked this recipe, but it was a lot of work.  I made 17 tortillas and still had almost half the dough ball left.  I decided to freeze it for later. I'm not sure if the savings is worth all the work when I get a 10 pack of tortillas from Aldi.  I haven't tried these yet, I'll let Mr. Ripples have the honor when he gets home from work.




I also made some Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. I revised this recipe from sparkpeople.  I tried to lighten them up a bit using egg whites and substituting half the butter with applesauce.  They are still good, but the weight watchers points are still too high to be a good treat for me.  The girls and hubby'll have to eat these themselves.


And finally, I made these blueberry muffins.  I used oats for half of the flour and substituted applesauce for the oil.  These came out pretty good and were only 3 WW Points Plus.


Now I'm exhausted.  Little Ripples and Baby Ripples helped me mix up the cookies and the muffins.  I had to clean the kitchen twice, sweep, vacuum and mop the floor.

2 comments:

  1. You're really brave to do substitutions with baking. Cooking ahead really does save on groceries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Home made tortillas are definitely the way to go. So simple to make too, and so much more whole and flavorful.

    ReplyDelete