April 21, 2013

Crockpot Corn Chowder

I made this Crock Pot Corn Chowder for Dinner today.  I just threw everything in the crock pot and cooked it on low for 7 hours.  After it was done cooking, I took the ham bone out of the crock pot and got all the ham off of it that I could to put back into the soup.  If I had a little flour I would have added it to thicken the soup up some.  My husband likes it better that way but I ran out and wasn't going to run to the store for it. 

2 Cans Cream Corn ($1.10)
1 Can Corn ($.55)
2 Cups Skim Milk ($.31)
1 Cup Water
1 Large Carrot Peeled and Diced ($.12)
1 Cup Diced Green Peppers ($.42)
1/2 Large Onion Diced ($.30)
Ham Bone ($2.00)
2 Medium Red Potatoes Peeled and Diced ($.10)
1 Can Mushrooms ($.60)
4 minced garlic cloves ($.10)

Total Cost = $5.60
Makes 9.5 - 1 cup servings = $.59 per serving

I'm serving this with Cajun Cornbread.  The mix was on Clearance last week at Aldi.  I don't remember how much I paid for it but I'm sure it was less than $1.

Cajun Cornbread Mix - ($1)
2 eggs ($.17)
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup light blue bonnet spread melted ($.06)

Total Cost = $1.23
Made 12 pieces =  $.10 per piece

This made enough food for the family to eat for dinner tonight and my husband and I to have for lunch tomorrow and it only cost $6.83 to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment