February 17, 2015

Food Waste and Meal Plan

The plan for the rest of this week is to eat up all the left overs and anything that will go bad while we are away for a week.

I made a crock pot of chili yesterday and beef stroganoff on Sunday.  We have lots of leftovers which is good so I don't have to cook much this week.

Food Waste
This was not a great week for food waste.

I bought these marked down at Aldi and then forgot that the expiration date was close.
I didn't even look at the dates again until it was over a week past and I'm really
weird about dates.  I know it probably still would have been fine but I tossed them anyway.
Estimated Cost: $1.50

About 1/2 a can of mixed fruit I found in the back of the fridge.  Not sure
how long it had been in there.  I vaguely remember opening the can for Little R a while
ago.  Estimated Cost: $.30
More food waste last week:
  • 1/2 rotten onion found at the back of the fridge $.10
  • 3 Chocolate Chip Cookies that tasted like the freezer - $.45
  • 1/4 box of angry birds cheese crackers - The girls had taken the bag out of the box and the crackers got pretty smashed up.  I salvage what I could for Big R's lunches and tossed the rest. $.50
Total Cost of Food Waste Last Week: $2.85
Total Food Waste for 2014: $14.74

1 comment: