January 7, 2015

No Food Waste Leads to Some Interesting Meals!

We've been doing great on not wasting food.  I know it's only been 7 days but so far no new food waste! I'm pretty proud of myself for my creativity to use food up.

I'm going to go through the fridge and cupboards tonight and make a list to go shopping at Aldi tomorrow. My goal is to start grocery shopping on Wednesdays or Thursdays at Aldi to get the meat special buy and the best deals of leftover items they've marked down.  Usually by the weekend most of the good mark downs are gone.  I wonder on what day of the week they do mark downs.

Anyways, here are some examples of what I've been eating this week.

Broccoli salad with cottage cheese, light french dressing, 
Parmesan cheese and croutons.  I would normally use these ingredients to top
a salad but we were all out of veggies except I had tons of broccoli.  
This way I used up the broccoli.

Burrito with chicken, cheddar cheese, salsa, black olives and sour cream. 
We had taco salad and Mexican pizza earlier in the week.  I had some leftover ingredients but no chips to make nachos and ran out of lettuce so we couldn't have more salads.  Usually the salsa and black olives would end up in the trash but with my burrito yesterday and a rice bowl for lunch today made with left over Mexican rice, chicken, cheddar cheese, sour cream, black olives and salsa, I didn't throw away any uneaten food!   

These meals weren't anything that I would normally had made but they all turned out pretty good.

1 comment:

  1. Very creative and everything sounds good too. Looks like you're doing great!
    I'd say with the markdowns, I don't know how Aldi does it but generally with fresh foods I think stores have to do markdowns every day. There are laws for sell by dates and sell by dates are always going to be in different ranges so I don't know that there would be a day they do markdowns. Unless there is a day they get deliveries and all the meat has the same sell by date in that shipment... don't know.

    ReplyDelete