- 2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes - $.95 each
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste - $.39
- 2 14.5 oz cans Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic and Oregano - $.59 each
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning - $.05
- 1 tbsp Oregano - $.05
- 2 tbsp brown sugar - $.05
- 2 tbsp olive oil - $.24
- 1 medium onion - $.20
- 2 tbsp. minced garlic - $.10
- 1 lb. ground turkey - $3.00
(I also threw in about 1/3 - 1/2 of a jar of leftover store bought spaghetti sauce that was in the refrigerator so it wouldn't go to waste.)
Total Cost $7.16
My husband likes to have meat with every meal. This is a great recipe to stretch the meat out.
Cost wise, I don't think I saved much compared to buying the sauce in jar. I usually buy Hunt's sauce in a car or the cheap Jar sauce at Aldi but then I add extra ingredients to them at home.
This recipe made 23 - 1/2 cup servings.
After dinner today, I have 2 bags with 3 cups each to put in the freezer for dinners later and then 1 bag with only 2 cups that will go in the freezer. The smaller bag will be used for meatball subs, pizzas or some other meal that doesn't require a lot of sauce.