March 24, 2014

Smoked Turkey Puffs Recipe

This is the first recipe that I have tried out of my 1001 Short, Easy, Inexpensive Recipes book that I got for Christmas.  It was ok.  Pretty much just like a egg casserole only with smoked turkey instead of ham or sausage.  I've been trying to use up the smoked turkey I had in the freezer so I thought I'd give it a try. Original Recipe in purple, the rest are all my changes.

12 eggs - $1.50
1 lb. smoked Turkey, chopped (I used about 2 1/2 cups) - $2.50
1 1/2 cups finely shredded cheddar (I use 1 cup sharp cheddar and 4 slices of sharp cheddar that needed used up) - $1.50
2 Cups Milk - $.31
Dash Worcestershire sauce (used 1 tsp.)
Freshly ground pepper (didn't use)
About 1/2 cup spinach (not in original recipe but I had some to use up) - $.50

I just through everything in the crock pot, mixed it up and cooked it until the eggs were cooked through.  I would have liked to try it the original way and baked them in the oven in a muffin pan but I wanted it to be done when I got home from work so I just used the crock pot.

Made 7 - 3/4 cup servings at $.90 per serving.  Total Cost = $6.31

I served this with toast and salad.

Original Recipe - Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Divide turkey into 6 sprayed bowls or egg cups.  Divide cheese into each bowl.  

In a blender, add eggs, milk, Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.  Blend until frothy.  Pour egg mixture into cups over cheese.  Cups will be quite full.  Bake for 30-35 minutes until eggs are brown and puffed. Serves 4 - 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment