So anyways I saw this really cool deal through Amazon for those that use Turbo Tax:
Shop Amazon - Refund Maximized - Get Up to 10% More on Your Federal Refund
Basically the way it works is you can choose to receive part of your refund as an Amazon gift card and you'll receive an extra 10% of that amount as an Amazon gift card.
I already used HR Block but haven't filed yet. I'll have to think about if it will be worth all the time to redo it through turbo tax to get this deal.
Scenario 1 using HR Block:
Cost of HR Block premium (because of rental unit) $49.99
Ebates - 10% cash back with HR Block - approximately $4.99 rebate
Scenario 2 using Turbo Tax if I knew I would be spending money on Amazon anyways:
Choose to receive a $500 Amazon Gift Card as part of my return = $550 Gift Card, a $50 bonus
Cost of the Turbo Tax program I need to use because of the rental property is $69.99
Result: I would be spending $20 more up front and then not getting my rebate of $4.99 through ebates. But I'd be receiving a $50 bonus. So I'd still be $25 ahead by using Turbo Tax!
And the savings would just get bigger depending on how much of the tax return I wanted to accept as an Amazon Gift Card. For someone that shops on Amazon a lot, this could really add up to a great bonus!
Here's some additional info on the deal:
TurboTax with Refund Bonus Offer Additional Details
- Use some (or all) of your federal refund to purchase an Amazon.com Gift Card** and Turbo Tax will tack on a bonus
- The remainder of your refund will be deposited to your bank account
- As soon as your refund is received, TurboTax will email you your Amazon.com Gift Card claim code
- Receive an extra 5% with TurboTax Basic – So $500 would become $525
- Receive an extra 10% with TurboTax Deluxe, Premier, and Home & Business – So $500 would become $550
- TurboTax Business is not eligible for this offer