November 11, 2013

Baked Potato Soup/Chowder - Review

I tried this recipe from Crock-a-doodle-doo.  I didn't follow the recipe exactly.  I was running late and quit peeling/cutting potatoes when I had about 3 1/2 pounds of them instead of 5 lbs.  I had some frozen chicken stock and wasn't sure how much was in the freezer bag so I just put the whole chunk in plus added frozen mushrooms.

When I came home there wasn't enough liquid so I added 1 cup water and, without thinking that I had cut back on the amount of potatoes, I still added the full amount of cream cheese.  I used the electric mixer to mix it quicker than by hand and it turned into the consistency of mashed potatoes.

I thought the flavor was GREAT though!  Mr. Ripples didn't like the texture and had to tell me in 5 different ways that he wasn't fond of it.  (Even though he loves mashed potatoes).  I've yet to find a soup that he likes and considers a "Dinner" except for Stuffed Green Pepper Soup.

I served this with a large salad.  Soup and Salad seems like a good dinner to me.

If I would have made this as a side dish with some meat as the main portion of the meal, he would have loved it.  But as the soup was the main part of the meal, he wasn't happy.

Anyways, I would definitely try this recipe again and follow it exactly or maybe cut it back and actually use it as a side dish of loaded mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment