September 20, 2013

Gifting Guilt

Lately I've shared some great deals that I got on clearance.  Tomorrow we will be going to a birthday party and I will be giving the 3 year old birthday girl the gift pictured below that only cost me $2.50:

 
 
Next weekend both my girls are invited to a friends 7th birthday party.  I purchased this Hello Kitty Messenger Bag that she can color on clearance for $2.59.
 

I'm always excited when I find such great deals but then I start to feel guilty.  Am I being cheap? Should I get them another gift to go along with it?  And now that I think about it, since both my daughters are going to these parties, should I be taking 2 gifts? 
 


4 comments:

  1. I don't think you should feel guilty at all. Sort of as with very small children, they can be as entertained with a $2 doll as with a $40 doll, if not more. As long as it's something they can use and won't break before they've gotten some use out of the stuff, I think it's a success. As far as the two kids going to the birthday party... it's just 1 gift from the both of them. I think that'd be expecting too much to wait for 2 gifts from siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 birthday kid, one birthday gift. Don't feel guilty. You got great gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I have had kids ' parties, I specified "no gifts." I explained to my kids that the party was so they could entertain their friends. Of course, the guests generally ignored the gift edict. I also insisted on my kids writing thank you notes...either for gifts at their party, or for being invited and entertained at another. As a parent, I knowthe investment on either end. Sooooo, if someone thinks you cheap, I say "shame on them." Seriously, is that REALLY the spirit we want to foster regarding gift giving? All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for your comments. We went to one of the parties yesterday and there were so many kids and so many gifts, I don't even think the birthday girl knew which came from who. Her poor mom was trying to keep up but it was chaos. I'm glad I didn't go out and buy anymore gifts, it would have been a waste.

    ReplyDelete