July 24, 2013

We handed over the keys today...

The check for the deposit and 1st month's rent cleared today.  I emailed our new tenants and told them they could pick up the keys and reminded them that they needed to transfer the electric over to their name within the next couple of days.  Within a couple of hours they already had the electric transferred into their name.

There are two sides of the patio that used to have flower beds but have been over grown with weeds.  I was going to dig up the weeds and just fill in the space with mulch or stone.  But our new tenants want to do it themselves.  Fine with me... I had $40 set aside to buy supplies and now I don't have to.  They have a landscaping business so they said they already have everything they need.

I am really happy with our new tenants.  They seem very friendly and easy going.  That is so important since we are living right next door to them.  We're pretty easy going to so hopefully we'll all get along well.

It's a little weird though.  I'm 30 years old, have a career, a husband, been married for 8 years, have 2 kids, and now own a rental property and therefore am a landlord.  I'm pretty much THE landlord, meaning I've done most of this process on my own.  I wouldn't have done it if my husband hadn't agreed but as far as all the work involved in getting to this point, it's mostly been me doing it.

Yet I still don't feel like an adult.  It's such a weird feeling having our tenants that are older than me asking me questions about where they can park and if it's ok to screw a couple holes in the wall for new blinds, etc. 

I wonder what it will take for me to finally feel like a grown up. 

1 comment:

  1. Hehe. That's great that things are working out nicely. I don't think I've ever really felt grown up, even after going to steps I thought would be 'IT'. Nope. Still feel like a kid most days.

    ReplyDelete