June 8, 2013

Unwed and Pregnant... Congratulations!

I don't understand why it is so acceptable in todays world to get pregnant and not be married.  I know a girl that is in her early 20's.  She didn't finish college, hasn't held a steady job for more than a few months at a time, and lives with her father.  Yet, when she posts about an upcoming ultrasound appointment on Facebook, she gets tons of "Congratulations!" from her friends.

I don't get it.  What is there to congratulate -was she trying to get pregnant?!  To me, this is not a happy situation.  Don't get me wrong... This baby will be absolutely loved and celebrated.  But this girl just put her life on hold for years to raise a child when she should be finishing school and experiencing life.

I know so many women that just let pregnancy happen to them.  Like...Oops.  I don't understand how they leave what should be one of the biggest decisions in their life up to chance.  Being a parent is such a huge responsibility. 

I think I was about 22 or 23 when I got pregnant the first time.  I was married and in graduate school.  The pregnancy was planned so that I would be able to finish school before the baby arrived.  I also had a steady job and my husband and I were able to support ourselves. And  I was still worried to tell my mom that I was pregnant.  I don't know why.  She was thrilled, but I still felt like a kid somehow.  I couldn't imagine letting the world know on Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. I can understand where you're coming from... especially when it's teen moms with no boyfriend, living at home, etc.. very sad. :(

    ReplyDelete