April 14, 2013

What I've been cooking this weekend

I love accomplishing things on the weekend. Sometimes I have a hard time getting motivated but once I get going, I have a hard time slowing down. It feels so good to have the house clean and to make healthy food that we can eat during the week when I don't have time to cook during the week.

I tried two new recipes yesterday that were both really good from skinnytaste.com.

Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps: These were really yummy.  Instead of lettuce wraps, I used the ingredients to make a buffalo chicken salad.  For my husband, I made buffalo chicken wraps.  We both really liked these.
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/04/crock-pot-buffalo-chicken-lettuce-wraps.html

Then I used some of the left over liquid in the crock pot to make this Buffalo Chicken dip:  This dip is awesome!  I love Buffalo Chicken Dip but I know its really fattening.  This is a better way to make it and tastes great. 
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/02/lighter-buffalo-chicken-dip.html

I've been trying really hard to use up everything and not waste any food.  Today I made some muffins using up little bits of lots of ingredients.  I used up the white flour, whole wheat flour, ground flaxseed, brown sugar, a strawberry yogurt cup that needed used, 3 super ripe bananas and an apple. Obviously I added some other ingredients, but I was proud of myself for using up so many ingredients that I only had small amounts of or needed to be used or thrown away. This was my first time making muffins without a recipe, just throwing it together with what was on hand...so I wasn't too sure how they would turn out, but they were great!

I also made a crockpot full of taco filling:  I used 1 lb of ground chicken, dry pinto beans, brown rice, corn, green pepper, mushrooms and onion.  I even threw in some diced celery that was left in the fridge and when I realized I forgot to buy taco seasoning packets I just used what I had on hand: ground cumin and chili powder.  I haven't tried it yet but hopefully it will taste good.  I'm going to make about 10 burritos to freeze.  We'll have enough for nachos tonight for dinner and left overs for tomorrow.  Plus I'm going to freeze a big portion of it for dinner later in the month.  I use this filling for burritos, taco salad, nachos, etc.

I also decided to make some breakfast burritos to have on hand.  I was able to make 13 of them.  I put half in the fridge and froze the rest.  I used: 1lb. sausage, 14 eggs, 2 3/4 cups sharp cheddar (2 open bags that needed used up.), onion, green pepper and a little milk. 

My husband loves hot pockets so I've been trying to make some home made wraps that I can freeze so he can just pop them in the oven or the microwave.  Much healthier and cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment