April 11, 2013

How I learned to love the job that I hated...

There was a long time that I really hated my job.  I felt unappreciated.  I was never given any new opportunities.  I felt like I was stuck in a dead end job and I was bored.  I worked with other people who were really unhappy and I think that affected the way I viewed my job.  I felt stuck.  I didn't want to leave the company because the company is very convenient for me.  My commute is short, good insurance with reasonable premiums, and the hours I work allows me to be able to get my daughter on the school bus in the morning.

A little over a year ago, that all changed.  I made a decision that I was going to make the best of my job.  My boss never sent me to take any classes or to conferences. But had I ever approached my boss with an opportunity that I would like to participate in? No.  No one ever used my ideas, but was I really putting myself out there and speaking up when I had an opinion?  Not really.

So I decided to talk to my boss.  I asked if I could start taking on some more assignments.  I asked if I could take some classes offered at our local college.   I asked if I could go to a conference that I had found information on.  I've started speaking up more in meetings and sharing my opinions on projects.  I've started to be included on more aspects of projects and I'm learning a lot because of it.

A relative of mine used to always say "State your needs."  And that's what I needed to do to learn to love my job.  I just had to speak up and things started to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment