April 5, 2013

Easy Apple Dumplings

Little Ripples has been asking me to make apple dumplings for weeks.  I'm not sure why but she must have heard of them from somewhere because its definitely not something I've ever made before. 

I don't remember where I found the recipe, I looked at about 30 until I found the easiest one, but I tend not to follow recipes very well anyways so I'll just tell you how I made them.

Ingredients:
crescent roll dough (the kind in a can)
Sugar
Cinnamon
2 apples (I had Gala so that's what I used)
apple juice
4 Tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Use the butter to grease a baking dish and then melt the rest of the butter in a bowl in the microwave.  Mix 4 tablespoons of sugar with 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon in a bowl. Peel and slice the apples.  I tried to do them a little on the thin side so that they didn't take too long to soften up in the oven.  Put the apple slices in the bowl with the cinnamon and sugar and shake it back and forth until the apples are coated. Then lay out the crescent dough and press to flatten it out some.  Wrap each apple slice in dough.  I just used enough dough to wrap each slice.  Sometimes it was a whole crescent triangle, sometimes I only needed half.  I placed my rolled up apples in the buttered baking dish.  I had leftover cinnamon sugar apples so I just put those in the dish too.  Then I mixed about 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 cup of apple juice with the melted butter and poured the mixture over the dumplings.  Top the baking dish with foil, then bake until the dough looked about half done.  Take foil off and finish  baking until dough is browned.  

Serve with icecream while the dumplings are still hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment