October 6, 2013

Beefy Baked Beans, Veggies and Elbow Macaroni - Updated $1.15/serving


UPDATE:  I totally did the math wrong on this recipe.  I don't know why, but this morning I was laying in bed and it just hit me.  It's still a cheap recipe but its not 58 cents per serving.

I loosely used the beefy beans and rice recipe that I made a couple weeks ago and came up with a new recipe today.  Mr. Ripples' said it was so good it was definitely a keeper.  Funny that he doesn't remember me making something similar before.  This was another good recipe to add lots of different veggies in that normally the family wouldn't be thrilled with, especially mushrooms, and I didn't hear one complaint about having to eat them.  This is one of those great recipes where you could use up whatever vegetables you have on hand. 

1 pound ground meat (I used ground chicken) - $2.89
1/8 cup honey + 1/8 cup maple syrup (could just use 1/4 cup honey but I was running low on honey) - 75 cents ??
1/3 cup ketchup - 12 cents
1/3 cup barbecue sauce (I used sweet baby ray's) - 24 cents
2 teaspoons garlic salt - 5 cents
2 teaspoons onion powders - 5 cents
2 cups elbow macaroni - 45 cents
1 onion, chopped - 20 cents
1 green pepper, chopped - 65 cents
5 mushrooms, chopped - 50 cents
1 can corn - 49 cents
1 large can baked beans - 99 cents
1 can black beans - 59 cents
1/2 tablespoon olive oil - 10 cents ??

In a large pot, add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, ground meat, onion, green pepper and mushrooms.  Cook until ground beef is cooked through.  Add all the rest of the ingredients except elbow macaroni.  Mix well and cook until heated through. 

Servings - 7 - 1 1/2 cup servings, 464 calories per serving
Total Estimated Cost of Recipe - $8.07, $1.15 cents per serving

2 comments:

  1. That sounds good and I am not a fan of baked beans. I made something similar that my children just loved. This makes me hungry. But, I have hotdogs and chili waiting. You know it is similar, but the husband likes what he eats. One little difference and it seems like a whole new dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love baked beans and will have to try this. Don't worry about the math! We all make mistakes.

    ReplyDelete