July 13, 2014

French Toast and Fruit Syrup Recipe (no milk, brown sugar or syrup)

Aldi had loaves of bread marked down really cheap last week.  I got 1 loaf of 100% whole wheat bread for $.75.  I put it in the freezer with the intention of making french toast.  But I forgot to buy syrup and I used up the brown sugar last week when I made blueberry pancakes and realized that I was out of syrup.

I wanted to make french toast Sunday morning and figured I would try to make a syrup a different way.  I had a can of apple pie filling I bought on clearance a while back and didn't have a plan for and some fruit that needed to be used up.

After I added all the eggs to a bowl to make the french toast, I realized that we didn't have any milk either. This is what I came up with and I think it turned out really good.

French Toast:

  • 11 eggs
  • cinnamon
  • vanilla
  • 1 loaf of bread
Add first 3 ingredients and mix.  Spray skillet with cooking spray or grease with butter.  Dip bread into egg mixture and cook in a skillet on the stove until browned. 

Fruit Syrup:
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2/3 cups white sugar
  • 1 over ripe banana, sliced
  • 1/2 pint blueberries
  • 1 can apple pie filling
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
In a sauce pan, mix water, sugar, banana, butter, vanilla and blueberries until boiling.  Add apple pie filling and mix until heated through.  Serve over french toast.


No comments:

Post a Comment